History of Deer Park

The City's founders gathered in the back room of what is now the Deer Park Inn on Blue Ash Road. Built in 1886 as Helds Tavern, it was just the second building in what would eventually become Deer Park, said former owner, Hermann Tegenkamp. ''They used to say if you could hit a ball from the field across the street into the front door, you'd get a free drink,'' he said. 

The new Deer Park Roofing facility now stands on the site of that baseball diamond. Deer Park was laid out in 1886 as a suburb of residences. Still mostly rural, Deer Park was incorporated as a village in 1912. There were 327 residents. Most of the meetings of the leaders pushing to incorporate the area as a village were held in the back room of Helds Tavern. So when Deer Park was formed, council meetings were held in that same room. At the end of meetings, official minutes say, ''council adjourned to the bar.''

Deer Park developed slowly at first. It was 24 years before village leaders built a municipal building, leaving tavern-room meetings a thing of the past. But with suburban growth exploding with the baby boom, the City grew. By 1950 there were 7,247 residents. Deer Park was incorporated as a city in 1952.

  • 1788 John Cleves Symmes purchases all land between two Miami Rivers for subsequent resale and development.
  • 1795 Treaty of Greenville signed, giving Ohio settlers assurances of safety over Indian "intrusions", Samuel and Rachel Dument Pierson establish log home in vicinity of Deer Park
  • 1806 Dr. Daniel Schenck and family construct first brick home in Deer Park.
  • 1863 Morgan's raiders visit the area as they pass through Ohio. Story's have it they stopped at what is now Wards Florist.
  • 1881 Passenger train runs from Deer Park to Lebanon along "Highland Route."
  • 1886 Mutual Homestead Building Co. purchases large section of Pierson estate for suburban development.
  • 1890 At some point Mr. Chamberlain and Mr. Parrott purchased land in the area.
  • 1903 Rapid Railway interurban transit (for the "black cars") brings trolley service to Deer Park; car barns built at Hegner and Blue Ash.
  • 1906 Amity school constructed.
  • 1912 Deer Park incorporated as village, with backing of Deer Park Welfare Corporation.
  • 1930-1951 Several annexations increase overall size of village.
  • 1952 Deer Park becomes a city.
  • 1953 Deer Park Township is formed.
  • 1962 Celebration of Deer Park’s 50th anniversary.
  • 1971 The City builds a new Community Center.
  • 1987 Celebration of Deer Park’s 75th anniversary.
  • 2001 Deer Park newly renovated war memorial in Chamberlin Park is dedicated.
  • 2012 Centenial Celebration

Did You Know                       

As late as 1921 only a footpath of cinders existed along present-day Matson Avenue.

In 1925’s landslide election for the position of marshal, Walter Schneider captured all but two of the towns 243 votes cast.

Deer Park once had its own library, post office, and a movie theater.

Deer Park suffered severe property damage during the 1969 tornado that struck the southwest corner of town. Fortunately, no lives were lost.

Deer Park Volunteer Life Squad, organized in 1939, was the second such department organized in the United States.

Matson Avenue was named after Ollie Matson Schenck, granddaughter of early settler Daniel Schenck.